The success of every great business lies in the originality of its ideas. When copyright litigation threatens to disrupt your business, Willenken will safeguard your interests. Our attorneys are experienced copyright litigators, representing clients ranging from large corporations to small start-ups and individuals.
Modern copyright cases often involve complicated technology and complex legal issues. Our copyright team has the technical expertise to understand these innovations. More than that, we know how to distill the concepts at issue down to narratives that judges and juries can understand and appreciate. We know how to present clear, compelling arguments in both offensive and defensive litigation. Simply put, we know how to win.
Our team is capable of handling some of the most complex copyright cases. This builds on our significant experience with traditional copyright litigation, representing clients in the entertainment, fashion, and retail industries, as well as individuals. Regardless of a client’s size, needs, and goals, we have the resolved ability to provide strong advocacy on their behalf.
Some examples of high-profile copyright litigations handled by our attorneys include:
- Defending Disney and Pixar in a copyright infringement case involving the film “Moana.”
- Defending a prominent portrait photographer in a right-of-publicity case brought by the famous rapper Jay-Z.
- Defending a leading media production company in a significant intellectual property case.
- Prevailed in asserting copyrights on behalf of an individual toymaker in an infringement suit against two giants—a multinational toy manufacturer and one of the largest media companies in the world.
- Defended a large retailer against claims that it infringed fabric design patterns.
In non-litigation matters, we work with our clients in establishing copyright protection and enforcement goals, then develop strategies to achieve those goals domestically and internationally through partner firms. We are also equally familiar with other means of resolving disputes out of court, such as the issuance of Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown notices to third-party internet service providers and websites.
Because of this breadth of experience, Willenken lawyers are often asked to write articles and present CLE seminars of copyright issues for in-house legal departments, the Association of Corporate Counsel, and the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association.